KEELBOAT CREW AND HELM COURSE
Wanting to get out on the water but don’t know where to begin?
Our Keelboat Crew and Helm course is the perfect place to start. Designed for people who have little to no experience in sailing, this course will give you the basic skills required to be part of a crew and the opportunity to learn first hand how to skipper (steer the boat and lead your crew).
The Keelboat Crew and Helm course will cover the following and more
- Basic sailing terms and identification of the parts of a yacht – by the end of course you’ll know all about trimming the sails and why there are no ropes on a yacht
- The rules on the water
- How to spot the shifts in wind to gain the best sailing advantage
- Weather forecasting – the basics – what to look for before you head out on the water
- How to stay safe and protect yourself and your fellow crew including emergency procedures
- The secret strategies – when to tack and gybe and the best way to do it. What to look for when skippering and how to utilise your crew and your boat to gain the best advantage when racing – whether socially or competitively
- Confidently skipper your yacht around a set course
- 20 hours worth of sailing and directed self study
Why should you do this course?
The Keelboat Crew and Helm course is
- An excellent introduction into keelboat racing at Royal Perth Yacht Club
- The perfect combination of practical and theory lessons – we prefer you to be out on the water with a bare minimum in the classroom
- Your opportunity to be an active crew member and skipper
- The start of your journey to join as part of an active racing crew on Members' boats during Wednesday and Saturday Racing
- A recognised course giving you a Nationally recognised Yachting Australia qualification and also a useful starting point in your sailing adventures
- Twenty hours of training utilising our fleet of eight metre, specially designed training yachts
How Royal Perth Yacht Club will support you during your course
As part of your course fee you’ll receive:
- Introductory Keelboat theory book
- Official Syllabus and logbook
- A certificate recognising your completion of the course
- Introduction to supportive Members of the Club who are looking for crew and are willing to continue to train and assist you in your sailing journey
- A discount on the nomination fee if you decide to join the Club as a Full Member
Situated on the picturesque banks of the Swan River and located only five minutes by car from Perth’s Central Business District, RPYC’s Sail Training Centre is located in Perth’s most protected waters - Matilda Bay. Sailing conditions surrounding Matilda Bay are considered to be some of the best in the world.
Keelboat courses are run over 5 weeks on a Saturday morning. Subject to demand, these courses can also be run at other times.
Keelboat Helm and Crew - $385
- Run over 5 Saturdays throughout the season. Please see the table at the bottom of the page for the dates and times of the scheduled courses.
KEELBOAT SPINNAKER COURSE
Upon successful completion of the Keelboat Crew and Helm Course, you may wish to further expand on your skills and learn about sailing with spinnakers.
The Keelboat Spinnaker course covers the following:
- Symmetric and asymmetric spinnakers
- The rigging of spinnakers
- Hoisting, trimming, gybing and dropping spinnakers
- Packing spinnakers for efficient use
- Advanced helming techniques
- Communication and teamwork
The spinnaker course takes place using the same boats and in the same location as our other keelboat courses. Successful completion of the course will provide you with another nationally recognised Yachting Australia qualification.
Keelboat Spinnaker - $280 (Requires Helm Certification)
- Run over 3 Saturdays throughout the season
KEELBOAT SPINNAKER AND RACING COURSE
The Keelboat Spinnaker and Racing course is a further expansion on what was learnt in the Keelboat Crew and Helm course and completes the Yachting Australia National Keelboat Training Scheme's complement of courses.
This course is suitable for all who have completed the basic Crew and Helm course and are looking to further develop theirs skills to engage in racing, either as a crew member of by purchasing a yacht of their own.
The Spinnaker Course as described above is included in the course, along with the Keelboat Racing course, which will cover the following:
- Personal safety and clothing
- Correct use and knowledge of deck equipment
- Racing manoeuvres such as pre-start manouvering, roll tacking, roll gybing and mark roundings
- Advanced sail trim for all wind types
- Advanced balance and trim techniques required on board a racing yacht
- The structure of a race, including starting, course types and finishing
- Knowledge of the racing rules of sailing
- Communication and team work
- Physical fitness for sailing
The spinnaker course takes place using the same boats and in the same location as our other keelboat courses. Successful completion of this course will provide you with another two Yachting Australia qualifications.
Keelboat Spinnaker & Racing - $385 (Requires Helm Certification)
- Run over 5 Saturdays throughout the season
|Saturdays March 11, 18, Sunday 26, April 1, 8 2017 8am - 12:15pm *please note the inclusion of a Sunday
||Keelboat Crew & Helm
||1 & 2
||Please click HERE
|Saturdays April 22, 29, May 6, 13, 20 2017 8am - 12:15pm
||Keelboat Crew & Helm
||1 & 2
||Please click HERE
RPYC can not be held accountable for any missed sessions by students. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that they are free for that time frame. If courses do not fit your schedule, please discuss with us, and see if an arrangement can be found.
Seven(7) business days cancellation notice is required, all courses are non- refundable.