Wanting to advance on your basic boating skills?
Our Powerboat courses are the perfect place to start. These are the next stages on from the Recreational Skippers Ticket, providing more detail and building on the basic knowledge learned in the RST. Want to drive a club safety boat or pass on your dinghy sailing knowledge as an instructor? Then these courses are a must.
The Powerboat course will cover the following and more
- Pre departure checks including care and maintenance of a boat trailer
- Navigation allowing for variation and GPS as an aid
- High speed manoeuvres
- Awareness of different hull shapes and their characteristics
- Be able to trim the boat and the effect on steering
- Confidently skipper your boat after planning a passage using the rules of the road
The Safety Boat Handling course will cover the following and more
- Selection of suitable clothing and equipment required on a safety boat
- What makes a good safety boat and why
- Can ‘stand off’ and come alongside other vessels whilst underway
- Rigging and towing of multiple vessels
- Demonstrate the correct approach and recovery of capsized dinghies
Why should you do this course?
The Powerboat courses are
- An excellent way to improve those powerboat skills
- The perfect combination of practical and theory lessons – we prefer you to be out on the water with a bare minimum in the classroom
- A requirement if you wish to be a dinghy sailing instructor
- The start of your journey to be an active member of a safety boat team
- A recognised course giving you a Nationally recognised Yachting Australia qualification
How Royal Perth Yacht Club will support you during your course
- As part of your course fee you’ll receive:
- National Power Boating theory book
- Official Syllabus and logbook
- A certificate recognising your completion of the course
- Introduction to supportive Members of the Club who are looking for crew and are willing to continue to train and assist you in your sailing journey
- A discount on the nomination fee if you decide to join the Club as a Member
Situated on the picturesque banks of the Swan River and located only five minutes by car from Perth’s Central Business District, RPYC’s Training Centre is located in Perth’s most protected waters - Matilda Bay. Boating conditions surrounding Matilda Bay are considered to be some of the best in the world.
Powerboat courses are run over a weekend usually twice a year. Subject to demand, these courses can also be run at other times.
Submit an application for this course using our Training Application Form
- Powerboat Handling - $200
- Friday evening and Saturday mornings
- Safety Boat Handling - $200
Saturday September 20th 2014 from 0830-1600
Safety Boat Handling
*Further courses will be run according to demand
RPYC can not be held accountable for any missed sessions by students. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that they are free for that time frame. If courses do not fit your schedule, please discuss with Chris Goldacre, and see if an arrangement can be found. Seven(7) business days cancellation notice is required.
For further information and enrolments, please contact Chris Goldacre on 9423 5519 or email firstname.lastname@example.org